Did you know?
Earth is the 3rd planet from the sun. Oceans cover nearly 70% of Earth’s surface. Our planet is a complex system of air, water, and land spinning constantly while moving around the sun. Our amazing planet provides for us in so many ways. It’s no wonder that since the first Earth Day on April 22, 1970 the event has grown from a national to an international celebration of over a billion people in 192 countries.
A National & International Celebration
This year marks the 43rd anniversary of Earth Day. The United Nations has deemed April 22 International Mother Earth Day. To date, The Nature Conservancy’s “Picnic for Earth” consists of people participating in 6 countries, for a total of 58 picnics in 53 cities. The list of countries includes Australia, Bolivia, Colombia, Mexico, South Africa, and the United States. In the United States, people will be celebrating across the nation from Washington DC to San Francisco.
Pure Luxury has selected a list of Earth Day events for you to choose from in Northern California Wine Country including Sonoma County plus Sonoma and Napa Valley.
- Ravenswood Winery: On April 20th & 21st, guests who walk or ride their bikes to the winery will receive a complimentary tasting. Guests driving a hybrid or carpooling to the winery will receive two-for-one tasting passes. Hikes in the vineyard will be available at 12 p.m. and 3 p.m.
- Kunde Family Estate: Hike & Taste in the Vineyards on April 20th at 10 a.m. with Sonoma Valley Docent Bill Myers. Enjoy the incredible views and learn up-close about sustainable winegrowing practices. The hike concludes in the tasting room for a tasting of Kunde wines.
- Benziger Family Winery: A special Earth Day celebration begins at 11 a.m. on April 20th with a Bordeaux Tasting seated seminar amidst the charm of The Barn then continues with hors d’oeuvres on The Terrace until 2 p.m. As a special bonus, 100% of the net profits from Tasting Room sales will benefit Jack London State Park.
- Celebrate Earth Day with Green Valley invites visitors to Iron Horse Vineyards on April 21st for a festival featuring walk around food and wine tastings, live music, plus guest speaker Jared Diamond – a Pulitzer Prize winning and best selling author. Participating wineries include Iron Horse Vineyards, Marimar Estate, DeLoach Vineyards, Dutton-Goldfield, Freeman Winery, Hartford Family Winery, and Sequana Vineyards. Net proceeds will benefit National Geographic.
- Napa Green Certified Vineyards & Wineries: Special events at participating wineries include a Napa Green Vineyard to Glass Tour at St. Supery Vineyards & Winery from April 19th – 21st, An Earth Day Walk About vineyard walk and tasting at The Hess Collection on April 19th, and an Eco Friendly Wines and BBQ for Earth Day at V. Sattui Winery on April 19th, and more.
- Sterling Vineyards: On Saturday morning, April 20th, Sterling invites guests to celebrate Earth Day with a Bud Break Vineyard Walk and Lunch with their Director of Winemaking, Harry Hansen. Start the day with a glass of wine (or a cup of coffee!) followed by a catered al fresco lunch. Relax to the music from a live guitarist or take part in a ring toss.
- Earth Day in Downtown Napa presented by The Environmental Education Coalition of Napa County: From 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. enjoy live entertainment, games, wine, beer, local cuisine, and information on Green services and products. Local vendor booths will include Clif Family Winery, Robert Mondavi Winery, V. Sattui Winery, Fish Story, Bardessono, and Napa Valley Vintners.
Considering the high numbers of organic, sustainable, and biodynamic wineries in Northern California Wine Country, it’s easy to understand why wineries in Sonoma County, Sonoma Valley, and Napa Valley are making sure to celebrate Earth Day and sharing that celebration with everyone. Don’t forget to contact us here at Pure Luxury, a Certified Green company, for your private chauffeured transportation and create a new meaning to the word “carpool.”